The Michigan Health Endowment Fund is seeking a professional communicator with marketing and digital skills to join our team as communications associate. Reporting to the communications officer, this individual will play a critical support role and have the opportunity to help shape a communications program for a relatively new organization. The ideal candidate balances a passion and knack for storytelling with the technical skills to produce quality content and measure progress across several platforms.
- Content creation and publishing
- Written: web content, blog, social media, media outreach, and other assignments as needed
- Visual and multimedia: photography, video, infographics, visual aids, presentations, etc.
- Communications data collection and analysis
- Track social and web analytics; report on progress toward goals and provide insight into most effective tactics for audience growth
- Monitor earned media and make recommendations for increased coverage
- Support across communications activities
- Produce materials for programs, events, etc., working with vendors as necessary
- Help plan new communications initiatives
- As part of a small staff, assist with some administrative and customer service duties
Key skills and qualifications
- The ideal candidate is a superb writer across genres and formats: long-form, blogging, social media, formal and informal, etc. Precise and tactful editing skills are required.
- You should know your way around Microsoft Word and WordPress, and be able to use Adobe Creative Suites for at least the basics. Experience with Salesforce or Mailchimp is a bonus.
- Experience or demonstrated interest in public health is a plus, but is not required. More importantly, the right person learns new issue areas quickly, can write about anything, and is a passionate and productive digital communicator.
- We’re looking for someone with social media savvy. Experience with social media campaigns, audience development, and evaluation will be an asset.
- Direct public relations experience, like drafting press releases and reaching out to reporters, is a plus.
- The right individual has a bachelor’s degree and 2-3 years of experience. We might consider an entry-level candidate who has demonstrated excellence in the areas above through internships, visible work products, and/or an online presence.
- Must have a sense of humor.
To apply, please send the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter stating your interest in this particular position
- Two work samples. At least one must be a writing sample; the other can be a different type of writing or a multimedia piece such as video, infographic, website, etc.
- If you have an online portfolio or personal website that includes comparable examples of your work, you can send a link to that instead of sending two work samples.